Milengo GmbH is one of Europe’s leading language service providers, offering translation and localization services to clients in over 70 countries. We currently have 80 employees working at our headquarters, which are located at the heart of Berlin, Germany.
Technical Assistant for Language Technology – Traineeship
We are expanding our Engineering team and are searching for candidates who have already worked in a tech-oriented industry and are passionate about building on their skills in this area.
We are currently seeking a full-time Trainee Technical Assistant for Language Technology to start immediately.
The Engineering department serves as the technological backbone to our company.
During your traineeship, you will support our Technical Assistants in their day-to-day work. This will involve preparing documents and files for translation and delivery, providing support to other departments in CAT (computer-aided translation) tools, and maintaining language assets so that clients’ translation memories are kept ‘clean’ and term bases are up-to-date.
Our Technical Assistants also offer support in developing inhouse software, and write scripts for innovative automation projects.
The Engineering department are a tight-knit group who work in close cooperation in order to optimize workflows. For that reason, you should be a team player who is well able to accept and take on board constructive criticism.
Our ideal candidate will already have gained work experience in IT or another tech-oriented sector, have studied computer science, technology, or linguistics, have basic knowledge of any object-oriented programming language and regular expressions, and be very familiar with HTML/XML and Microsoft Office.
We are especially interested in applicants who have already worked at least one year in the localization industry or as a localization engineer, and have an in-depth knowledge of CAT tools (such as MemoQ, Memsource, or Trados Studio).
This year-long traineeship is designed to lead into a permanent Technical Assistant for Language Technology position.
- Preprocessing and postprocessing files for translation and delivery
- Providing technical support for CAT tools and servers
- Documenting workflows on the intranet and keeping the Engineering section updated
- Maintaining language assets so that translation memories are kept ‘clean’ and term bases are up-to-date in line with client requirements
- Improving workflows using scripts and automation
Your profile and qualifications:
- Secondary school leaving certificate (at a minimum)
- Work experience and/or university degree in computer science, technology, or linguistics, ideally with a background in localization and/or as a localization engineer
- Basic knowledge of any object-oriented language (such as Python, Java, or C#) and regular expressions
- Tech-savvy, with an avid interest in new software and technology
- Good knowledge of HTML/XML and related technologies
- Strong MS Office skills (especially in Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word)
- A team player with a precise and detail-oriented approach to work
- Strong command of written and spoken English and an ability to communicate in basic German – knowledge of other languages is welcome, but not necessary
We offer you:
- The opportunity to work independently, and gradually take on new responsibilities.
- Step-by-step training with regular feedback from your head of department.
- A friendly, motivated, and multilingual team at an exciting, international company.
- A comprehensive onboarding process that will familiarize you with the work carried out by each of our departments.
- A unique insight into translation industry and agency workflows.
- Decision-making processes that are highly efficient, as we are always open to implementing new ideas and suggestions
- Opportunities for personal development and growth.
- An English-speaking work environment in which you can also speak other languages such as German, French, Spanish, Polish, Portuguese, and Russian with your colleagues.
- Company social activities – regular company lunches, yoga lessons, and social events such as bowling and karaoke nights.
Please note that this is a full-time position in which you will be expected to work about 40 hours per week, and that you will receive a salary of approx. 1.593 EUR gross per month, or more, depending on your qualifications.
This traineeship lasts one year and is designed to lead to a permanent position at our company.
Is this the challenge that you’re looking for? Then please e-mail your completed application, naming your earliest possible start date and salary expectations, to email@example.com.
We look forward to getting to know you!
To give you a quick overview of the application process, we have created this guide for applicants. We hope it gives you all the relevant information for your decision and are looking forward to your application.